But first here are a few good reasons to cook for your dog:
- To provide a healthy diet based on fresh ingredients
- To meet his special needs and accomodate his taste preferences
- To nurture her as you would any other member of the family!
Beef Barley Stew
1/2 cup barley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water or unsalted beef or chicken stock
1 tomato (diced)
2 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced)
1/2 cup peas (frozen)
1. Cook the barley according to package directions. Typically for 1/2 cup barley you would use about 1 1/2 cups liquid (this could be unsalted chicken or beef broth)
2. Heat the olive oil in a stockpot or large covered saucepan. Add the beef, salt and cook, stirring frequently - about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, water, potatoes and carrots - cover and cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are done.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the peas and cooked barley
LET COOL TO ROOM TEMPERATURE
How much to feed?
The amount of food to give your dog each day depends on his/her weight, age and activity level. Here are some general guidelines - if in doubt - feed the same amount of the home prepared meal as you currently feed dry food.
3-10 lbs. 1/2 - 3/4 cups
11-20 lbs. 3/4 - 1 1/8 cups
21-30 lbs. 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 cups
31-40 lbs. 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups
41-60 lbs. 1 3/4 - 2 1/3 cups
61-80 lbs. 2 1/3 - 3 cups
If you are new to home-prepared meals you can mix the cooked meal with their current dry food. (take out some dry and add the fresh to keep the overall amount the same) Refrigerate leftovers - cooked meals last 2-3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.