Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dogology - new book!


Dog owners, this book reveals, fall into 9 distinct personality types: Angel, Dynamo, Soul Mate, Idealist, Observer, Expert, Buddy, Master, and Free Spirit. While most of us recognize that a rescuing Angel needs to save the neediest dog at the local shelter, what makes a Soul Mate a soft touch for round-headed, big-eyed toy breeds such as Shih Tzus, Pugs, and Pekingese.

Authors Vicki Croke and Sarah Wilson, experts on the complex bond between dogs and their owners, use quizzes, psychological insights, and humor to analyze why dog owners gravitate toward certain breeds as pets—and to explain what owner’s choices reveal about their character and emotional makeup. With Dogology in hand, anyone visiting a dog park can instantly spot the various types and subtypes, from the Image Maker fashionista with her accessory Yorkie peeking out of her Prada bag, to the Free Spirit, whose dog often bears a botanical name and rarely comes when called.
Similarly, readers will themselves learn that paying attention to the words they choose to praise their dog reveals the specific approval that they crave themselves. With quick checklists to identify what type of dog owners readers are, tips for training, and exercises for bonding with one’s dog, Dogology will make a welcome addition to any of the 43.5 million American households that now own at least one dog.

Review: I LOVED Dogology!
Nearly every page made me laugh or cry and wonder if Sarah and Vicki had somehow been watching me with my dogs for years. These authors know dogs, and just as importantly, they know people and what makes them tick. They also write in an engaging and entertaining style while delivering significant insights.
As a dog trainer, I find this book a helpful read for understanding the various mindsets and personalities that I encounter in my work. I'm also sure the write-ups about the different personality types will help me with my relationships in other spheres of my life, as it discusses people and what lies behind some of their choices. I highly recommend this book to anyone with a dog or anyone who wants to understand their dog-loving friends or relatives